Restore Your Smile To Full Strength
When poor oral hygiene or dental trauma results in gaps in your smile, eating and speaking can become difficult. It can also be awkward or embarrassing to socialize with friends and family. What’s worse, tooth loss can negatively affect your health if left untreated. Missing teeth can increase your risk of bone loss, periodontal disease, and more. That’s why our expert dentists provide tooth loss solutions for New Jersey patients in Teterboro, Maywood, Teaneck, and the surrounding areas.
If you’re looking to smile, eat, and speak like you used to, we can restore your smile to full glory. Our expert dental team provides restorative dental services to ensure that your teeth and smile are functioning properly.
What is Restorative Dentistry?
The goal of restorative dentistry is to restore function to your teeth. Our teeth fit together in such a way that they help us break down food, speak properly, and protect our oral health from bacteria. As well, when teeth are missing, it can alter your bite which can also lead to issues like TMD. If your smile has been damaged due to decay or dental injury, our restorative solutions are designed to fill in the gaps of your smile as well as restore teeth back to their normal appearance and function after they’re damaged.
Restorative Solutions At State Street Smiles
If tooth damage is too great to be fixed with a dental filling, Dr. Jackson may recommend a dental crown or an onlay. Dental crowns and onlays protect teeth that have been damaged, or they can be used to replace missing teeth. They can be made to look exactly like a natural tooth, so they’ll blend in with the rest of your smile and can dramatically improve its appearance.
Crowns or onlays may be used to:
- Replace a large filling when there’s little tooth structure remaining
- Protect a weak tooth from fracturing
- Restore a tooth that’s broken
- Attach a dental bridge
- Complete a dental implant
- Cover a discolored or poorly shaped tooth
A dental bridge is one method for replacing a tooth. A bridge is made up of one or more artificial teeth that are kept in place with the support of your natural teeth on either side of the gap. The bridge can be created to blend in with the rest of your teeth for a natural-looking smile.
While natural-looking bridge options are popular, we do provide a variety of materials for bridges. Your choice may depend on the strength, wear, and aesthetics you’ll need from your bridge.
Dentures can restore your smile and its function if you’ve lost many or all of your teeth. Your dentures will be custom-created for you to resemble a natural smile. They’re completely removable and can be adjusted to create a comfortable fit.
Partial dentures are also removable and are made to fit in with your natural teeth. We can also place a fixed partial denture by using a dental bridge or dental implants, so they won’t need to be removed for cleaning.
Frequently Asked Questions
There is no difference. Dentists typically use the word “crown” while patients often use the word “cap”. These are intended to repair a severely broken tooth by covering all or most of the tooth after removing old fillings, fractured tooth structure, and all decay. The crown can be made out of gold, porcelain, composites, or even stainless steel. The newest materials look beautiful, just like a natural tooth.
Missing teeth can lead to physical problems as well as psychological challenges as well.
- Loss of functionality. Gaps in your smile can alter the function of your teeth. Missing even a singular tooth can change your bite over time which makes chewing more difficult. It can also lead to other teeth falling out of alignment which can lead to the need for more expensive orthodontic treatment.
- Increased risk of oral infections. The empty sockets left from missing teeth are the perfect place for bacteria to hide and form. This makes your surrounding teeth and underlying gums at risk of infection. If left untreated, these bacteria can infiltrate your bloodstream and lead to other problems such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and more.
- Weakening of the jawbone. When teeth are missing, your underlying jawbone can deteriorate because it no longer has the stimulation that teeth roots provide.
- Premature wrinkling. Your face structure can also change due to missing teeth resulting in a sunken, hollow appearance.
- Reduced self-confidence. No one deserves to feel self-conscious about their smile. Gaps from missing teeth can impact your ability to smile with confidence. If you find yourself hiding your smile because of missing teeth, a restoration can be just what you need to show off your dazzling smile once again.
- Increased likelihood of pain. Sensitivity in the empty sockets from missing teeth is common. As well, gaps in your smile make you more likely to develop infections which can be incredibly painful. Restoring your smile can prevent unnecessary pain and discomfort.
Complete Your Smile At State Street Smiles
We want to make sure your smile is functional and whole. We proudly help patients from the Teterboro, Maywood, Teaneck, and surrounding areas restore their smiles and protect them from the negative effects of tooth loss. No two smiles are the same, Dr. Jackson will work with you to find the restorative solution that best fits your needs. If you’d like to learn more about our restorative dentistry services or to schedule an appointment with Dr. Jackson at our convenient Hackensack office, call (201) 487-7030 or fill out the contact form at the bottom of this page.