Steps to proper periodontal care
Periodontal disease is a serious dental condition that can negatively affect the health, appearance, and function of the smile. In order to maintain periodontal health, there are many steps you can take at home and with your dental team to reduce the risk of developing this problematic infection. Learning about these tips is the best way to achieve and maintain a healthy smile.
What are some steps and recommendations for preventing periodontal disease?
Gum disease is a condition that is entirely avoidable with proper oral health habits. Bleeding gums, bone loss, and even loose teeth can eventually occur if periodontal disease is left untreated. The earliest stage, gingivitis, can be reversed, though the later stages of periodontitis cannot, and there currently is no cure, only maintenance. To avoid these issues, consider the following tips and suggestions from Drs. Edward and Dina Jackson of State Street Smiles in Hackensack, New Jersey:
- Brush and floss at least twice each day.
- See your dentist every six months for regular cleanings and checkups.
- Eat a balanced, healthy diet low in sugar and processed carbohydrates.
- Quit smoking, as it has been linked to an increased risk of periodontal disease.
- Use antimicrobial mouthwashes to reduce bacteria growth in the mouth.
- Be aware of any changes in your gums, such as redness or bleeding. Notify your dentist immediately if you experience any issues with your gum health.
- If you have an underlying medical condition like diabetes, keep it under control; this can help reduce the risk of developing periodontal issues or vice versa.
Schedule an appointment today
How long has it been since your last dental evaluation? Are you overdue for an evaluation? Or is it too soon for your next appointment, and you notice changes in your smile’s appearance and health? Regardless of the reason, it is always a good idea to see a dentist at least every six months for a cleaning and evaluation. Connect with Drs. Edward and Dina Jackson of State Street Smiles today! Call (201) 487-7030 to request an appointment at our office, located at 405 Main Street and serving patients in the surrounding communities of Paramus, Maywood, and Teaneck, NJ.